Thursday, January 10, 2019

OpenMediaVault - Day 3 + 4 - RAID1 Creation takes forever, and even longer if you hit the power button by accident.....


Day 3

As I posted earlier,  my two 4TB HDD arrived today from Amazon.ca

I needed to get 2 Molex to SATA power adapters, as this computer didn't have any SATA power connectors.  Power adapters were $3 each,  got 5 HDD screws for free from their spare screw bin.....

Both 4TB (3.64TB actual) drives were both accessable by OMV...  wiped and doing a RAID1 configuration now....

This is going to take a while.... just done 3.6% and it is saying between 364-375 minutes left.....

NAS cost so far -

Dlink DGE530T Gigabit adapter - $22.60
Molex/SATA adapters - $6.76
4TB HDD x 2  - $294

------

Computer which is used in this NAS is currently sitting on the floor of our Home Theater /Media room (might be there permenantly) as there is a 8 port gigabit switch in the entertainment unit with open ports....

Anyways, the side panel was off the case, and I decided it would be best to put that on, as our dog has taken over this room as her bedroom for the past 8 yrs or so, and I didn't want her to mess it up...  Putting on a side cover while the computer is still running should be a piece of cake .... right?   WRONG.... Accidently /Inadvertently hit the power button during the RAID 1 mirror setup...

This is not good...The untimely shutdown seems to have screwed up my NAS / OMV installation...  I can't get it to boot up normally, nor do I know enough about Linux at this time to fix it....

In goes the CD with the install boot image,  and time to start over....

I have forgone the updates for now,  I just want to get this mirror built.

New RAID mirror starts building at around 9pm...  it's chugging in the background,  doesn't look like anything untoward happens when I back out of the web client.....

-------

Day 4

Next morning I check the web client before heading to work, and the RAID mirror is built...  Now adding the file system.....  will check on it tonight.....

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home